Monday, September 24, 2007

What is Financial Freedom?

Different people will have their own definition of financial freedom.

What is your definition of financial freedom?

Have you ever thought about it before?

For me, after working as a full time employee in a multinational company for some time, I am tired of the typical 9 to 5 and highly stressful working environment. I don't like to have irregular meals because of an important meeting or conference call over lunch or stay back late in order to complete an urgent deliverable and hence, missed my dinner.

I don't appreciate the idea of I had to work during public holidays for some "critical" reason or apply and beg for leave to go on vacation from my managers. Most of the time, my vacation is limited to 1 week max because my job can not afford to have me leaving for more than 1 week....and there will be a long list of what I don't like as an employee...

Having said that, positive employee will tell me that I should be happy that I still have a job while others might not even have jobs or just lost their jobs.

I told myself that, even though I am very lucky to have a job, I have to find ways to be out of this situation which is also known as escape from rat race. From the previous working experience, I know that this is not the kind of life I want. More importantly, I believe that I always have a choice to opt for what I want in life. I want to find ways to achieve financial freedom.

Therefore, personally, my own definition of financial freedom is having adequate money to live without working while still maintaining my preferred life style. I believe in building multiple streams of passive income to ensure that it is enough to cover the daily expenses. This will free up most of my 9 to 5 time and let me focus on ways to help the unfortunate and needed.

Hence, my own financial freedom is able to live, work, play and give freely...

How about yours?
If you have never thought about this before, spend some time to ask yourself about this question...what do you want in life?

Add this blog to Technorati Favorites